Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Alienware X51 Questions & Answers

Alienware X51 or custom HTPC?

Posted by Dexter on Jan 20, 2012

Hey guys I'm thinking of building a desktop machine in small form factor case for HTPC use. How much do you think that'll cost for a decent build and should I go for the Alienware X51 instead and why?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 1 leprechaun on Jan 20, 2012

Alienware X51 is not exactly HTPC, it's a small form factor gaming PC :) I would go for the X51 if I were you.

Reply Level 9 2 Immortal on Jan 20, 2012

If you`ll use it for HTPC better buy some compact Zotac...the Alienware will be a little pricy for your needs.
http://tinyurl.com/7ccaqju

Reply Level 7 3 I.P.K. on Jan 20, 2012

Alienware X51 is gaming PC, take something that has real HTPC features (like remote control, display, etc.)

Reply Level 5 4 DaddyChicken on Jan 21, 2012

If you are like me you probably want to build it yourself just to pick the parts you want. I had done one years ago. I think you can do it sub $400, but depends on your needs.

Reply Level 4 5 leviathan on Jan 23, 2012

Recently looked at the specs of one Shuttle case with intel i3/i5/i7 ready motherboard for around $200. If you're looking for a portable pc that's a possibility. Adding a cpu, ram and storage shouldn't get you over $500 total. You wouldn't get the performance of an alienware, though.

Reply Level 6 6 WingMan on Jan 25, 2012

If you go custom it will be a lot cheaper.

Reply Level 9 7 Immortal on Jan 25, 2012

Most of people don`t have the knowledge to go "Custom" so they prefer a ready-to-go solution. But it is true it is cheaper...to be a nerd :D

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.