Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Linux Ubuntu 11.04 Questions & Answers

Recovery from Grub Error 5

Posted by Immortal on Oct 06, 2011

Just finished a fresh installation of Ubuntu and just after the restart i get Grub Error 5 and the bootloader halts. Now I can`t get in neither of my OSs. The HDD seems to be ok so I can`t seem to find the reason for the error. I tried reinstalling Grub from the livecd but it keeps giving the same error. Any ideas?

Problem solved

The author of the question has chosen Answer 4 by Immortal as the problem soluton.

« Back to all discussions

not rated
1 Immortal on Oct 07, 2011
Level 9 I managed to recover the boot sector from Windows Recovery Console in the Windows installation CD (bytyping fixmbr)...now i can logon ot my windows but I still can`t access the linux partition in any way...I will rearrange the partitions with Partition Magic and try installing GRUB again

not rated
2 mindhacker on Oct 07, 2011
Level 2 The error 5 is explained to be "5 : Partition table invalid or corrupt"

I've got a suggestion for you, not sure whether it will be helpful in your particular case. It has been reported useful, so here you go:

Using LiveCD try to rearrange the boot partition to be in the beginning. Check if the Grub partition is the active one, i.e. has been flagged bootable. To make it bootable (in case it isn't), do the following:

fdisk -l (find out which one is it)
fdisk /dev/type-the-partition-found-from-the-above-command/
a (add bootable flag)
1 (make it first)
w (write to partition table)

Grub manual literature: http://www.gnu.org/software/gr​ub/manual/grub.html#Stage2-errors

not rated
4 Immortal on Oct 10, 2011
Level 9 I repartitioned the whole HDD and the error disappeared...too bad i have to reinstall the windows now, but at least the error is gone

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.