Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Linux Ubuntu Questions & Answers

Ubuntu for beginners

Posted by barryween on Nov 23, 2010

What is the best Ubuntu/Linux version for absolute beginners? I'm talking only about the ones with GUI.

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 3 2 MilanFAN on Nov 23, 2010

SuSE and Ubuntu too are good way to begin with Linux...SuSE 10.0 is a very user friendly distro, but pretty much everything can be done through the GUI interface, so if you really want to learn Linux, you might want to try something with a little less front end.

Reply Level 4 4 Chubaka on Nov 26, 2010

+1 for SuSe, especially OpenSUSE. It's like Windows, use Control panel style for computer configuration, making it less intimidating for users to mix with inner workings.

Reply Level 6 3 WingMan on Nov 26, 2010

Ubuntu and openSUSE are both good distos for beginers. Ubuntu will give you better application installer and openSUSE better looks. Both are available with either KDE4 or GNOME desktop environment (both of them are good, so it depends on your preference which to use). Some people suggest Fedora as well.

Reply Level 3 5 Balistic on Jan 14, 2011

Just get Ubuntu 10.10, you wont be disappointed. You can download a windows installer so you can check the OS without changing your drive's partitions. I'm using this version for a bit over 1 month now and it runs great.

Reply Level 2 6 cassie on Jan 18, 2011

I agree with Balistic get the newest available version and it will all be ok :)

Reply Level 2 7 Zildjian10 on Jan 18, 2011

I'd love to say something good about the "Open Source" free stuff, but I can't. Free causes trouble, or at least that's the thought coming after some experience with free software.

Reply Level 2 8 Inferno on Jan 19, 2011

Well the fact that you are getting a free OS, often seems not as refined as a retail OS like Windows (not that it is the greatest). The good part about OS like openSUSE or Ubuntu is that a lot of developers take part in it and evolves pretty good. If you install Ubuntu 10.10 you probably won't have any issues.

p.s. Free software doesn't meen poor quality, it means FREE!

Reply Level 2 10 cerealkiller on Jan 20, 2011

p.s. Free software doesn't meen poor quality...

To be honest it often does. I use some outdated free apps, but the real issue is that everything evolves real fast nowadays and paid developers (and companies) tend to update more frequently. Just my 2 cents.

Reply Level 2 9 ikarus on Jan 19, 2011

I agree, to use free software is a real......adventure, I just don't have the nerves to use it....I don't like the idea to wait for someone to write drivers for my video card (for example) :(

Reply Level 2 11 Twisted on Jan 20, 2011

Open source is great if you have the knowledge and the time to set everything up, because in most cases it needs a lot of tweaking

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.