Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Networking Devices Questions & Answers

Custom firmware? Which one, what are the advantages?

Posted by jonathan1250 on Oct 20, 2010

I've got one of these hanging at the shelf at home, and since it's been replaced with newer router, I thought I might play with it a little. I'm interested in changing the firmware with a custom one, but don't know If it will be something worth doing.

What generally will be the advantages? Will I be able to control the speed of the connected network devices (restrict to lets say 300k each PC connected)?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 3 2 Golfman on Oct 20, 2010

Which is your present firmware version? The last one is 4.30.14 and it fixes the issue with UPnP vulnerability. Also adds built-in multi-language support (but I don't know how usefull for you is this). Supports HNAP 1.2 :)

Reply Level 3 3 Golfman on Oct 20, 2010

Ooops U asked about custom firmaware....sorry...DD-WRT is good one. It's not for begginers nor experts. With it you can create hotspots. It's Linux based OpenSource firmware and you can manage the bandwidth :)

Reply Level 6 4 WingMan on Oct 20, 2010

From what i read on the net a custom firmware will bring enterprise class features to the routers it is installed to, no matter what of their class (low, midrange etc). DD-WRT as Golfman said is a pretty good solution and it support your router.

Reply Level 9 5 Immortal on Oct 21, 2010

As far as I know, the best firmware for this device is "Tomato Firmware"...it is frequently updated, easy to install and implements features like bandwidth monitor, WDS raises the number of P2P connections and much much more... you can read more --> http://www.polarcloud.com/toma​to

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.