Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Desktop Computers Questions & Answers

Build or buy desktop rig?

Posted by Smoky on Sep 29, 2011

So, let's discuss which is the better option -pros and cons. How hard is to assemble PC? Can be relied upon already assembled PCs from online magazines? Which option is cheaper?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 5 1 Dexter on Sep 29, 2011

If I had to build one, I'd do it for the awesomeness of having my hands inside my own custom PC, instead of buying a pre-build config.

One will certainly need some skills assembling one, but more importantly choosing the right hardware. On the hardware side, it all depends what you will be using it for, for instance a multimedia (HTPC) will need bigger storage capacity, while the gaming rig would benefit from faster SSD drive(s) - if you aim at optimum have a bit of both, SSD for the OS, HDD for media. There are tons of deals on every single piece of hardware needed, so a good research before buying is a must. I'd start with a list of all needed hardware and a budget.

My config will be something like that:

1. Custom case with good cooling options, sound proof, compact as possible, PCU according to whatever power is needed, most likely 500W
2. 128 GB SSD + 1.5 TB HDD setup
3. Gaming Class Motherboard (ASUS are really good in price/quality ratio)
4. nVIDIA Graphics Card, I'll be choosing something middle-ish, likely 1GB
5. Intel Quad Core CPU with Turbo Boost (anything that suits my budget from i5 to i7) with custom cooling; here's the place to mention that I'm not a big fan of overclocking, so I don't need water cooling or anything fancy, but the real gamer should consider that; I have seen a gaming setups that go nuts when overclocked.
6. Fast dual-channel RAM, probably at least 8GB
7. Creative Sound Card
8. Linksys WiFi card
9. DVD burner
10. Wireless Keyboard and mouse
12. If the monitor is also needed, I'd go for anything above 23" and a minimum of FullHD res

Reply Level 9 2 Immortal on Sep 30, 2011

In my opinion if you take your time building a desktop machine is not only easy, but fun as well. There are many detailed tutorials online so if you don`t understand something you can always take a look and move on.
http://www.instructables.com/i​d/How-To-Assemble-A-Basic-Desktop-PC/#step1
The other plus on assemblying your pc alone is that you can build a more powerful machine for less money. The pre-build solutions are not bad if you`re willing to spend a little more money but want to be sure you`ll have tech support if needed :)
You can see some sample configurations here:
http://www.meetgadget.com/cate​gory/55/Desktop+Computers/disc​ussions/786/What+desktop+setup​+for+entertainment-

Reply Level 4 3 leviathan on Sep 30, 2011

Lets say the Pros of building your own rig is the absolute level of customization and freedom of choosing whatever hardware you like, thus giving you some options to cut the price down. Or the option to install unsupported OS, like Mac OS X.

Cons would be the time spent searching for deals, waiting, and the chance to end up looking a pre-build configuration on sale for even lower price. I'd start building one only If I have an unlimited budget, btw.

Building it, would expect you to have some basic knowledge of computer hardware and components. If you're just a user who wants a custom PC, I'd recommend looking at some sites that are specializing in just that - building custom PCs.

Reply Level 7 4 I.P.K. on Sep 30, 2011

If you are at least a little skillful and have time I think assembling your own PC is great. You can get better parts for less money. You just have to research whether the parts you choose are compatible (so you don't have future problems)

Reply Level 9 5 Immortal on Oct 04, 2011

The research is crucial for a good working configuration indeed...

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.