Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Desktop Computers Questions & Answers

In car computer

Posted by Cyrax on Jun 16, 2011

Hello, lately I've been thinking a lot about in car computers as the audio source for my system. What do you guys think about this type of computers? Will an atom based microitx system will be enough for a smooth operating flash UI, navigation and standard definition media playback?

« Back to all discussions

3 ndroid on Jun 16, 2011
Level 3 Atom based in-car PC would be great, but I really doubt that cost & labour building one would be acceptable. Of course, if you are hooked to custom PC builds and tweaking, it really is a challenging project to waste some cash on. In my opinion, it would be a lot easier to get a tablet and install it with security in mind (removable) instead of building custom PC + attaching separate touch screen. There are some tempting models available, running Windows 7 already you might be interested checking out.

2 Inferno on Jun 16, 2011
Level 2 For that task I'd look for a dual-core atom based system.

not rated
4 Jimmy on Jun 17, 2011
Level 2 Is not as expensive as one might think, but the system still will set you back ~500 or more (maybe less if you opt for used or old components). Atom based cpu will be sufficient for the task and will not take much space.

not rated
5 Immortal on Jun 21, 2011
Level 9 @Jimmy it is not about space, but less consumption and heat generation, but that is not relevant. @Cyrax excuse me for asking but what kind of car are you driving and what exactly do you need in-car computer for? Because if it is only for music and cool UI i can recommend you an iPad :) you are going to keep it in the car so you can still call it in-car iPad :) and besides music and cool UI it has apps too...and why do you think that in-car computer is a better audio source? The in-car computer will have a built-in sound card which is going to be processor dependent, which of course if it is atom is going to be slow anyway so the sound will be ten times worse then the simplest cheapest Car Head Unit, and assuming you won`t buy an SSD because it is expensive(and most of all it is not worth it putting one in Atom-based machine) you`ll most probably hear HDD generated noise

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.