Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Acer Questions & Answers

What causes sudden screen cracks without physical contact?

Posted by Immortal on Jun 27, 2011

Few days ago I opened my notebook(which was standing in a backpack all day) and was surprised to see that the screen was cracked. It is strange because I used it in the morning and it was perrfectly fine. It hasn`t been hit, pushed or anything. Can it be a defect of the screen, crack from temperature differences? Anyone has any idea because I don`t think that the warranty is going to cover it anyway. What causes sudden cracks in the LCDs?

« Back to all discussions

4 Dexter on Jun 27, 2011
Level 5 Apparently this is an old and known issue with Acer notebooks. I've read a couple of cases just like that and although the reason has not been confirmed (heat, poor design etc.), the issue is present - the screen is cracked without ANY physical damage what so ever and the LCD liquid runs out, making it completely useless.

Here are a couple of suggestions you might find useful:

1. Easy way - Take it to your local retailer/shop and claim your warranty. Unfortunately, they'll probably say it is due to a physical damage (or that the screen is not covered by the warranty) and will send you directly to Acer. At least that's what happened in most of the cases, although a few retailers offered paid repairs with a discount.

2. Here's the good part - most of the laptops that were sent back to Acer, were actually repaired free of charge. You'll have to go that road, I think, it will probably take a couple of weeks but there's a big chance it'll get fixed at no cost.

3. Find spares on eBay and fix it yourself (if you possess the force and knowledge), get rid of it and never buy Acer again. :) Just kidding, hope they'll fix it. Keep us posted.

For reference: http://goo.gl/TNc2e (thread from AVForums.com)

not rated
1 Bulldog on Jun 27, 2011
Level 2 I don't think the problem is caused by temperature differences and also think Acer want replace the LCD, 'cause they always can say U broke it.

not rated
2 WingMan on Jun 27, 2011
Level 6 Temperature difference is the most probable cause. Screens don't break by themselves. Is it possible that it touches the keyboard when closed? Look for scratches that can confirm this.

not rated
3 Immortal on Jun 27, 2011
Level 9 No visible scratches to be found on the body nor on the screen of the notebook...

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.