Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Dell Questions & Answers

Question about Intel turbo boost technology?

Posted by I.P.K. on Jul 06, 2011

Recently I bought Dell Inspiron N5110 with Intel i7-2630QM. Installed Win 7 Home Premium and a software from Intel to watch the work of my CPU (temperature, speed, etc.). I've noticed that even in idle state the CPU uses turbo boost - it works on 2.6-2.7 GHz (its normal clock speed is 2 GHz). Is that normal? Should I worry?

« Back to all discussions

4 Nexus_Core on Jul 07, 2011
Level 2 You should check you turbo boost settings in the bios. Most of the times there are options (on, off and always on). Yours is probably always on, if so switch to on and you should be a happy camper.

not rated
1 WingMan on Jul 06, 2011
Level 6 I believe this pretty much sums it up:

"IntelĀ® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it's operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits."

p.s. So yes, it is normal :)

not rated
2 Immortal on Jul 07, 2011
Level 9 Intel turbo boost is nothing more than dynamic overclocking function, but theoretically it must only be activated when the operating system requests higher performance. It is also limited by the processors power and thermal limits, so there should be no need to worry. However if the temperature starts exceeding 90C you should consider turning off the Turbo Boost. You can disable it by pressing F12 at the boot (to go into BIOS) go to Advanced CPU Core Features and disable Intel Turbo Boost Tech.

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.