Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Cell Phones Questions & Answers

Cell Phone radiation thoughts, is it really harmful?

Posted by Dexter on Jun 01, 2011

Hey guys, just wanted to share a hot topic I found out recently - The risk of cell phone radiation.

What do you guys think, is it possible to be really dangerous if you talk a lot on the phone? I've seen some funny experiments with cell phones trying to boil eggs, but never really thought of cancer and serious stuff, simply because I don't know a person who doesn't have one (actually some of my friends carry 2-3 phones). If it was that dangerous, wouldn't NASA know already? Wouldn't there be more restrictions on the use, especially for kids?

P.S. I'm seriously considering a bluetooth headset.

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 2 Wolfy on Jun 01, 2011

If someone can define "to talk a lot"...this problem is discussed a long time ago an still has no answer. I've never heard for a person to have cancer, because of his cell phone.

Reply Level 2 3 Helix on Jun 03, 2011

There is no solid evidence about this. Probably it isn't very good for one's health, but I wouldn't bother much about it as if any the radiation levels are way too low. If you live near a cell phone tower that is a different story.

Reply Level 1 4 webizen on Jun 06, 2011

OK, figuring this out would be a hard task, but I guess there aren't many case studies that state its definitely bad for you. I remember a TV show episode, where the guys had to check for radiation every single electric equipment in someones condo - guess what? Every single piece were emitting a minimal amount of radiation. Combining that with the wi-fi, cell phone towers, microwaves and everything else I use or get exposed to on a daily basis should light a bulb. WHO (World Health Organization) classifies this type of radiation as "possibly carcinogenic", and some other authorities recommend to minimize the exposure as much as possible as a precaution. I guess I'll be going backwards, using the un-2011 wires and getting my head away from the waves as much as I can. Unfortunately those technologies are so much into our lives, I hope these huge-brained guys are wrong.

Reply Level 9 5 Immortal on Jun 06, 2011

Everything in our environment is bad :) i don`t think cell phone radiation is the worst that is poisoning us....there is a much bigger risk eating the synthetic food that`s all over the market...or getting radiational poisoning from...hmmm...i don`t know....a malfunctioned nuclear plant :)

Reply Level 6 6 WingMan on Jun 07, 2011

now this reminds of something :D. But seriously there is no way to prove or disprove the cancerogenic phone theory. There is multitude of radio waves, radiations and so on that hit our bodies on a daily basis and i think that cell phones should be the last thing to worry about.

Reply Level 2 7 cold on Jun 08, 2011

Exactly...almost everyone has a router at their homes or workplaces which is throwing out radiation 24/7 don`t u think that is more harmful? You can`t possibly talk on your phone 24/7 cant u

Reply Level 2 8 maxpain on Jun 09, 2011

Just want to add a few bits and pieces here along with a few precaution methods. It is true that there aren't any solid evidence and therefore no proof of health damage whatsoever. However, some long-term case studies do not completely cross out the possibility of a link between cell phone use and cancerogenic diseases. While every phone is emitting RF* energy, this varies for the different handsets, different bands, and different usage - voice or data transmission. SAR** levels are generally capped at 1.6 watts per kilogram for US & Canada, and 2 watts per kilo in EU countries. Apparently those are considered safe and if a cell phone goes over it doesn't get to be released on the market. Generally, taking some precautions wouldn't hurt, and I'm all for it.

Some advice I found on the matter, besides choosing a phone that's with low SAR level:
- Use headset or text instead, when possible
- Keep the phone at least 1 inch away from your body
- Do not excessively use the phone while in areas with problem coverage (turns out it's emitting more at those times)
- Do not leave your cell around your head while sleeping

*RF - radiofrequency
**SAR - specific absorbtion rate (RF energy waves absorbed by the body)

More on SAR: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/spec​ific-absorption-rate-sar-cell-phones-what-it-means-you; http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-radiation-levels/;

Reply Level 2 9 alienware on Jun 09, 2011

I don`t think that any normal user does those things :) I mean come on don`t you carry your cell in your pocket?

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.