Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Notebooks Questions & Answers

What to look for when buying SSD?

Posted by superuser on Oct 14, 2011

I'm considering the option of replacing my notebooks' HDD with SSD, but I'd rather do it after a bit of research.

Can you guys give some advice what to look for and what options are available for such an upgrade. My plan is to take out the existing hard drive and use it as an external device and just put new 64/128GB SSD (depending on the $) on it's place. Anything on the hardware side that should be considered before getting one?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 7 1 I.P.K. on Oct 14, 2011

I think, you should be aware of two main features of the SSD: form factor and interface...
Form factor: look at your current HDD (it should be 2.5") and buy a SSD with the same form factor
Interface: choose SATA (3Gb, 6Gb) or IDE according to what your mobo supports...
Everything else depends on how money you have :D

Reply Level 6 2 WingMan on Oct 14, 2011

I've recently came across some options to install on a mini PCIe slot which is awesome and you can keep your hdd as well.
http://www.supertalent.com/pro​ducts/ssd_category_detail.php?​type=Netbook

Reply Level 4 3 leviathan on Oct 17, 2011

If you're not too much into cd's and dvd's you can use the cd-rom bay for a second hdd/ssd. That's assuming you have a cd-rom installed, If not -- moving your hdd to an external usb case is a very good option too.

The brands you should consider are OCZ and Intel. Here's a long, multi-page explanation how SSDs work and basically a lot of useful info to help you make the right decision: http://www.anandtech.com/show/​2829

Reply Level 3 4 Nitro on Oct 20, 2011

It all depends on what notebook you currently have. If it doesn't support SATA III, there is no point in going for the fastest drives on the market and you can get a bigger one for the same money. The Vertex 2 by OCZ it is one of the fastest SATA II drives and is cheaper now. I remember seeing the 240GB version for $300. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Reply Level 9 5 Immortal on Oct 21, 2011

Or you can get a fast SATAIII drive and use it in your next notebook as well....

Reply Level 3 6 Cyrax on Oct 21, 2011

yes you can for $100 more.

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.