Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

TVs Questions & Answers

How does the 3D TVs work - facts about the technology

TVs

Posted by webizen on May 18, 2011

Hello all. I'd like to know how does the 3D technology works particularly in the latest TVs available?

I'll be looking at replacing my TV with the so called Smart TVs and would like to know, should I also consider the ones that also support 3D?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 3 2 Golfman on May 18, 2011

We see depth when images from our left and right eyes merge into one and TVs must refresh the picture at least 120 times a second with alternating frames, for the left and right eye to re-create picture. And the most important is that the TV must include a converter chip and software to break down the signal and separate the left and right images.

Reply Level 5 3 Crossblade on Jun 20, 2011

There are a few types of 3D.

1/The old school Red+Blue - here you lose colors and so on.
2/The polarized ones, which is what you use in the theaters - you have glasses that are passive (no batteries or what so ever) and the screen shows different images for the two eyes thanks to the polarization.
3/Active shutter glasses - with these, there are twice the frames in the video, and the active glasses (they are powered) show you every second frame for each eye - for example left eye sees first frame, right eye the second, left eye the third, and so on.

For me, it is obvious that the third option is the best. However, LG makes polarized TVs and touts them as the better technology.

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.