Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Linux Ubuntu 11.10 Questions & Answers

How to install Google Chrome on Linux Ubuntu 11.10?

Posted by leviathan on Feb 13, 2012

Ok, a couple of days ago I installed Linux Ubuntu to try it out. It all went out as smooth as possible and I had it installed for like 15 minutes or so. The first thing I tried to install next (and last thing actually) was the Google Chrome browser, so I can sync bookmarks, apps, etc. I found an official release on Google's download page, downloaded it and tried to open it with Ubuntu Software Center but it gives me error "Can't open file" or something, without any additional details. Do you have any suggestions? It is the latest version of ubuntu 11.10 available on their site.

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 3 2 Renk81 on Feb 14, 2012

Did you download the correct version of Chrome? There are two available There is a Debian/Ubuntu version and a CentOS/Fedora version. You need the Debian/Ubuntu.

What architecture of Ubuntu are you running (32/64)? Does the Architecture match your browser? If your running 64bit Ubuntu, either the 64 or 32bit browser should have worked. If your running 32bit Ubuntu, only 32bit browser package will work.

Unless you grabbed the Windows version, then nothing will work

You can always go in, delete, and try again, make sure everything matches perfectly.

Reply Level 4 3 leviathan on Feb 21, 2012

Apparently it was all about updating Linux, no matter it was the latest release I downloaded from linux.com. I ran a command in the terminal "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" which downloaded approximately 350MB of data and installed it. After doing so, the Ubunut Software Center came with an error "Not correct version" for the chrome .deb file. I did a quick check, and it turned out the system upgraded itself from the initially downloaded 32-bit to 64-bit, and I was trying to install Chrome for 32-bit Ubuntu. Once again I went to Chrome download page, got the 64-bit version, installed it, ran through terminal "google-chrome" and it loaded nice and quick. All I had to do is to check "keep in Launcher".

There were some strange things before the first restart -- the Chrome wouldn't minimize itself but rather close the window, which after restarting the system is not present anymore. Now it gets minimized to the unity dock and I have all my bookmarks and other stuff synced.

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.