Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Toshiba Satellite A505-S6980 Questions & Answers

Laptop overheating - is it true?

Posted by 49ers on Jun 14, 2011

I heard that If you use your notebook like a desktop machine, i.e. intensively all-day sitting on a desk for example, it might overheat, which eventually will ruin the performance and possibly something even worse might happen.

Is it true and should I get a cooling pad or something just to be safe?
Also, what's the easiest way to get it occasionally cleaned from the dust? Vacuuming the fan grill?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 2 Smoky on Jun 14, 2011

If there is enough space under the laptop and good airflow you should have no troubles :) except the laptop is bricked

Reply Level 6 3 WingMan on Jun 15, 2011

I play game on mine and it overheated once. After that I've cleaned the fan and no issues at all. With modern components the overheating problem is almost nonexistent.

Reply Level 2 4 Reaper on Jun 17, 2011

Personally, I've never had any issues. As long as you don't block those intake and exhaust ports open you should be ok.

Reply Level 2 5 T-Rex on Jun 17, 2011

You should have no problems

Reply Level 9 6 Immortal on Jun 21, 2011

I`ve heard that if you don`t use it, it can`t overheat :)...i`m joking of course the problem is not how long you`re using you`re laptop, but as the others said how much dust it accumulates. If you notice you get higher temperatures than normal get it cleaned, because otherwise the thermal grease(heat transfer paste) will wear out very fast it will stop transferring heat and then you`ll get frequent overheating of your machine.

Reply Level 5 7 Dexter on Jun 22, 2011

According to a few, cooling down your notebook is always a good idea, especially if it runs at heavy loads frequently. If this is the case, a cooling pad might help you increase the lifespan of the CPU and other hardware. Not sure about the performance, could have some minor changes, which IMO, will be hard to spot. Cleaning the fan(s) out of the dust, however, is very important procedure, and is probably the first action to take after spotting some higher than usual CPU temp levels. If everything is normal, and your notebook operates properly, I hardly find a point of having a cooling pad.

Just for the record: my Core-i3 CPU temperature on idle and light load varies between 45-55°C on each core, and I'm not worried at all, since the CPU fan does not seem to go into higher revs than usual.

Free utility for monitoring the CPU temps: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Reply Level 9 8 Immortal on Jun 22, 2011

Nevertheless it is a good idea to clean it before using the cooling pad...otherwise it won`t cool a thing

Reply Level 2 9 Inferno on Jun 27, 2011

Cooling pads don't make much of a difference. To avoid overheating clean your notebook fans every few months and apply premium therm compound between the CPU, GPU and their respective radiators.

Reply Level 1 10 madskillz on Jun 28, 2011

That is interesting, I've always thought a cooling pad actually does something but from what I read here it turns out to be complete waste of money?

Reply Level 2 11 Agon87 on Jun 28, 2011

not exactly waste of money...if you buy a cooling pad that draws out the hot air, is a good decision :)

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.