Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

CPU Questions & Answers

Why there are more notebook processors than desktop ones?

Posted by Gamester on Oct 27, 2011

I'm a little confused about something - there are much more notebook CPUs compared to desktop (I'm talking about second generation Sandy Bridge CPUs). What can be the reason?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 3 1 Renk81 on Oct 28, 2011

Rumors I have heard include that some manufactures are possibly going away from the static desktop setup, as more and more users are switching to laptop/notebooks.

Reply Level 3 2 barryween on Oct 31, 2011

The sales ratio notebook/desktop is in favor of notebooks I guess. More notebook models, more segmentation > wide variety of processors needed.

I guess desktops will loose their share, at least for the home users. Nowadays the power capabilities of a notebook are good enough for regular computing and gaming and mobility became a great plus for me.

Reply Level 7 3 I.P.K. on Oct 31, 2011

The older desktop CPUs are still good and fast enough...maybe that is the reason.

Reply Level 1 4 Holly on Nov 04, 2011

I have both a desktop all in one (Sony Viao) and a Dell 16" laptop. For me, the desktop is faster than my laptop, larger screen - too large to be mobile, 100%+ better speaker sound, software loads and processes faster, it's easier on my eyes and neck and i don't need to find wi-fi /spend more on mobile broadband equipment and mgs. The laptop is for convenience- I take it with me to jobs (self employed pet care provider) to finish up what I can't get done in office. But ultimately the desktop is my main system. For the self employed who work with their hands and are mobile all day long, I need the convenience of a laptop but the power of a desktop. so it baffels me that, like the poster of question, that manufacturers are leaning away from desktop systems. My job puts me into my customer's homes , most are executives, all are professionals & many self employed: 99% own desktops + laptops + smart phones. I suppose the only upside to less options is that we don't need to replace our systems every 4-6 months.

Reply Level 3 5 Renk81 on Nov 07, 2011

its not even that we NEED to replace them every 4-6 months, we just do. We live in a disposable, B-B-D society. We exist in a world where our cell phones become outdated month(s) after release and get thrown away.

Reply Level 2 6 Warrior on Nov 09, 2011

And what is the relation with the discussion?

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.