Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Desktop Computers Questions & Answers

Upgrading a very old PC

Posted by WingMan on Mar 24, 2011

Hello, I have an old PC that I've decided to poke around with it and try to make it a fill a bit less outdated. Currently the machine has a Sempron 2800+ Cpu, GeForce FX 5200 and the very humble 512 MB of RAM. I'm thinking of bumping the memory to 1.5GB or even 2GB and changing the graphics to something newer, however it is the old standard, AGP 8X. Does anyone know what is the most powerful or the newest card that was released on AGP slot?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 2 Nexus_Core on Mar 24, 2011

I believe there was radeon HD 2600 if I remeber correctly.

Reply Level 2 3 Drifter on Mar 24, 2011

If you are not planning to change the whole thing (I would if I was in your shoes) I\'d suggest you get the 2gb of ram.

Reply Level 2 4 leprechaun on Mar 24, 2011

I know about a nVidia GeForce GT 8800 with AGP :)

Reply Level 2 5 macboy on Mar 24, 2011

If the GT 8800 from the post above is available for AGP slots, I\'d definitely search on ebay for one.

Reply Level 3 6 Zangetsu on Mar 24, 2011

I`m not sure, but if I can recall the Radeon HD 3650 is the newest thing that came out for AGP 8X slot.

Reply Level 2 7 Reaper on Mar 25, 2011

Yep, the 3650 and 3850 are the latest and last AGP 8x graphics I've seen, i have heard that there was a 4650, but never actually seen it in any of the online stores. The 3650 should be sufficient for the next 1-2 years

Reply Level 6 8 WingMan on Mar 28, 2011

Well, I've bumped the memory to 2 gigs during the weekend and the thing is totally transformed and Windows 7 works like a charm, now its time to look up for a better graphics card :).

Reply Level 9 9 Immortal on Mar 28, 2011

Don`t expect too much it is a very outdated architecture after all...DDR1...AGP...if i were you I wouldn`t spend money fixing it at all....the capacitors of this MB must be worn-out and after several months of usage the MB is going to die and you`ll find out that you spent your money in vain ;)

Reply Level 2 10 Konig on Mar 29, 2011

You are right, besides the memory any other upgrade is a waste of money.

Reply Level 2 11 ninjamode on Mar 29, 2011

Get an SSD drive. It'll boost the performance as much as the memory did. The only con is that it'll cost more than the entire thing. :)

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.