Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Notebooks Questions & Answers

More RAM or less RAM? Where to look for improvement?

Posted by Dexter on Apr 19, 2011

Hi, I'm wondering, if I go with over 4GB of RAM, what exactly will that help me? I mean, OK, more is always good, but what sort of applications gain more out of it? Is it some specific software boost (like video editing), or general performance?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 3 11 superuser on May 04, 2011

So, for instance, if I load 15 images into photoshop at one go, like selecting 15 photos and dragging them to the opened PS window, and that takes 3 minutes to load them into separate windows, will there be any improvement in loading speeds if the RAM amount doubles?

Reply Level 2 13 Blade on May 04, 2011

Photoshop uses RAM to process images. If Photoshop has insufficient memory, it uses hard-disk space, also known as a scratch disk, to process information. Accessing information in memory is faster than accessing information on a hard disk. So the answer to your question is YES :)

Reply Level 2 14 A_C_E on May 04, 2011

I see you are arguing and I want to give you one example: Photoshop CS4 and CS5 64bit version can use as much RAM as your PC can handle :) So should you give 50 bucks for 2 GB RAM - but of course :)

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.