Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Notebooks Questions & Answers

More RAM or less RAM? Where to look for improvement?

Posted by Dexter on Apr 19, 2011

Hi, I'm wondering, if I go with over 4GB of RAM, what exactly will that help me? I mean, OK, more is always good, but what sort of applications gain more out of it? Is it some specific software boost (like video editing), or general performance?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 2 Nexus_Core on Apr 20, 2011

You can easily check if your computer requires more ram or not. While running heavy applications, games or exporting videos, check the task manager to see how much memory is used by the system. You will see some improvement with more memory with video editing, some games or if you are a heavy multitasker. I have 3 GB in my system and is more than adequate for my needs (gaming and general computer usage).

Reply Level 2 3 LungDarts on Apr 20, 2011

I don`t think that you`ll notice significant difference above 4GB Ram for normal usage...for rendering maybe you`ll notice some difference but it depends on the other components you are using, like GPU(Cuda cores) etc.

Reply Level 2 4 wicked123 on Apr 20, 2011

First thing to consider is installing 64bit OS which can actually take advantage of the memory above 3GB. If you are using your pc for like office needs and movie watching, an upgrade wouldn't be needed in my opinion. However, If you do heavy video editing, I'd suggest getting more of everything - GPU, CPU and RAM. And getting rid of the notebook too. If you're about to extremely load the PC for long time, I'd suggest desktop with good cooling system. :)

Reply Level 7 5 I.P.K. on Apr 20, 2011

More RAM is not bad, of course, and it's not an expensive upgrade. RAM is needed for software and if you open 3 or more programs you'll notice that your PC is slower. Nowadays programs are very resource demanding.

Reply Level 2 6 Inferno on Apr 21, 2011

Yep its good to have more RAM, but what is the point in spending money on upgrade which won't give you any noticeable improvement.

Reply Level 2 7 Blade on Apr 27, 2011

Why do you think, you won't get any noticeable improvement?

Reply Level 2 8 Inferno on Apr 28, 2011

Most users (myself included), don't stress their computers enough to even utilize 4 gigs of RAM, let alone more than that. I'm thinking that if you are not using fully what you have, what improvement would you possibly have? More RAM to be left unused maybe?

Reply Level 2 9 Blade on Apr 29, 2011

Well, actually you don't have all 4 GB.....2 maybe. I will give you an example: if you open Chrome with 6 tabs, it takes around 300 MB of RAM :) not to mention flash...

Reply Level 3 10 Cyrax on May 04, 2011

Ofcourse when you use the PC the RAM Gets used :)

Reply Level 2 12 Blade on May 04, 2011

Well done Mr. Obvious....

Posted in response to comment #10

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.