Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Monitors Questions & Answers

Lowering the refresh rate of a monitor - will this help increase monitor's life?

Posted by Blade on Aug 03, 2011

I'm wondering if I use my monitor at 60Hz, though it can run at 85Hz, can help the monitors longevity?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 7 1 I.P.K. on Aug 03, 2011

I don't think refresh rate has anything with your monitor's longevity...The best you can do is to lower your contrast and that will gain some time of the LCD.....but how many ;)

Reply Level 9 2 Immortal on Aug 04, 2011

What kind of monitor are we talking about CRT or LCD?
For the CRT monitors if the phosphor dots are being hit and degraded by the electron beams 75 times per second instead of 60 times per second this would suggest 20% reduction in the time it takes them to burn out or darken, BUT when the refresh rate is higher the electron beam spends less time illuminating each pixel, each pixel isn`t excited as much by the beam and doesn`t reach the same peak brightness that it will at the lower refresh rate. So the higher refresh rate would actually make the tube last longer instead of shorter.
For LCDs as far as I know 85 Hz is impossible(for monitors i mean) higher inputs are accepted but the output is still converted to 60 Hz(or 75 Hz max). I also know that the refresh rate doesn`t make any difference if you`re using DVI, if the panel can`t refresh that fast it dumps the extra frames causing the image to "jump". So changing the refresh rate over 75 Hz in LCDs is totally useless therefore won`t affect the longevity of the screen at all.

So the change of refresh rates won`t affect the longevity of neither LCD nor CRT monitors.

Reply Level 6 4 WingMan on Aug 04, 2011

The 3D monitors are 120 Hz

Reply Level 9 6 Immortal on Aug 04, 2011

I stand corrected

Reply Level 2 5 Blade on Aug 04, 2011

I'm talking about LCD 120 Hz monitors, as WingMan supposed :)

Reply Level 9 7 Immortal on Aug 04, 2011

If you were talking about 120Hz you should have written 120 Hz....Anyways the refresh rate in the LCD monitors is different from the refresh rate in CRTs. In the LCDs the refresh rate is the rate at which the electronics in the monitor updates the brightness of the pixels BUT for each pixel an LCD maintains a constant light output from one addressing cycle to another. So whatever the refresh rate is it shouldn`t affect the life of the monitor ESPECIALLY if it is designed to work on it like the 120 Hz 3D monitors...

Reply Level 2 8 Blade on Aug 05, 2011

I gave those values as an example, sorry for the misunderstanding :S

Posted in response to comment #7

Reply Level 4 9 leviathan on Aug 11, 2011

What's the best refresh rate for a regular LCD monitor?

Reply Level 7 10 I.P.K. on Aug 11, 2011

The default one (very often 60Hz)

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.