Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Monitors Questions & Answers

Is HDMI video better than DVI?

Posted by leprechaun on Jun 30, 2011

I know that HDMI transfers video, audio and internet (HDMI 1.4a), but my question is whether video quality of the HDMI is better than the DVI video quality (or they are the same)?

« Back to all discussions

3 Dexter on Jun 30, 2011
Level 5 As you have guessed, the video quality of DVI and HDMI standards is absolutely identical regarding the image rendering, partly because both standards deliver the signal in a digital format and use the same encoding (and therefore you can use DVI to HDMI cable without an external converter). The difference between the two (besides the connector type) used to be whether the audio signal is also running along with the video. As far as I know, some of the early DVI standards were able to carry only video signal, while the HDMI since version 1 is audio+video multimedia interface.

Back to your question, I think the best way to figure out which standard delivers better image quality is to try both.

1 I.P.K. on Jun 30, 2011
Level 7 They should be the same, but I'm not 100% shure

2 Zangetsu on Jun 30, 2011
Level 3 I believe so as well, both are digital so what can differ a bunch of "1" and "0". HDMI carries audio and as far as i know DVI doesn't. Imagewise the should be equal (DVI-D and HDMI).

4 MilanFAN on Jul 01, 2011
Level 3 Video signals are the same

not rated
5 Immortal on Jul 01, 2011
Level 9 The main difference between DVI and HDMI is that DVI doesn`t support HDCP encryption, so if your video card includes only DVI outputs, you won`t be able to play Full HD Blu-rays. On the other hand with dual-dvi you can get 2560x1600, and the max resolution of HDMI is 1920×1200.

6 raghu.s1432 on Jul 28, 2011
Level 3 i don't think so bth r different its same

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.