Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Monitors Questions & Answers

Professional vs normal Monitors

Posted by cerealkiller on Feb 10, 2011

Hi, I'd like to know what's the difference between a regular monitor and professional one. What's the most noticeable features and where do they get in use? Thanks!

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 3 2 Trixey on Feb 10, 2011

Well, the main difference is the matrix technology. While normal monitors use TN matrix,for example, professional use IPS one. Professional monitors are used in medicine, photography and in a lot of other places, where the quality of the picture is very important.

Reply Level 2 3 Agon87 on Feb 10, 2011

I agree with you, matrix is the key and that's why professional monitors are so expensive. But they give better picture quality and sharper images. I'm not sure, but I think they are slower in response time, than the normal ones

Reply Level 6 4 WingMan on Feb 11, 2011

Actually this is not true. The main difference between a normal and a professional monitor is the color accuracy and reproduction. Reaction times and viewing angles are not as important as this for pro monitors.

Reply Level 2 7 Agon87 on Feb 11, 2011

First I've never said that viewing angle and reaction time are important, and second - what does determine the color accuracy and reproduction than the matrix type?

Reply Level 1 5 sub-zero on Feb 11, 2011

How about the resolution? Is it always higher in the pro models?

Reply Level 2 6 Gamester on Feb 11, 2011

I think it's not necessary

Reply Level 2 8 Nexus_Core on Feb 14, 2011

Not really, there are displays with outstanding resolutions, but this is not a must for the pro displays.

Reply Level 2 9 Smoky on Feb 14, 2011

I think resolution depends on t he screen size...am I right?

Reply Level 5 10 Crossblade on Feb 28, 2011

The professional monitors (used by designers, people that print newspapers etc, not about outdoor usage) should have true-to-life picture, including real colors, brightness, contrast and fine detail. They also have much better /outstanding/ viewing angles, so you don't get different picture by moving your head 5 inches, as it happens on (cheap) consumer monitors. Professional monitors target real/true to life picture, while the consumer ones need to be cheaper and fun to watch (people love oversaturated colors or brighter-than-it-should-be picture)

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.