Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Tablets Questions & Answers

Why would a tablet need quad-core processor?

Posted by zac25 on Nov 15, 2011

Just wondering, why would a device with sort of basic functionality would need a quad-core processors and 2GBs of RAM (a quad-core Lenovo tablet is on the way)? Are there any apps that can take advantage of that power? Or is it just because more is more and all the Android tablet makers are now trying to be on the edge, because basically that and build quality is the only difference between the devices?

Yes, the Android OS is getting more and more sophisticated, it now has a lot more cpu consuming tasks, but quad-core? And considering the games and apps are being specifically coded for tablets, they should be light enough to be played on a regular 1GHz single core cpu, I think...

Today I read an article that Adobe announced their touch-enabled tablet-only Creative Suite (Photoshop etc.) but even with these pro apps I doubt the need of such cpu power. Besides, unless someone come up with a better concept for batteries, how long would that tablet stay alive on a full load?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 7 1 I.P.K. on Nov 15, 2011

I think there is no need of quad core CPU for tablets. I can't remember, one app for android that uses even two cores. Quad core CPUs are just another reason to make tablets expensive

Reply Level 9 2 Immortal on Nov 18, 2011

Hah I can`t wait for the quad core tablets I`m going to render movies on it :D ....absolutely pointless for now

Reply Level 5 3 DaddyChicken on Nov 19, 2011

As a user of an android tablet with dual core processor, I think the biggest benefit of the quad core would be ability to view 1080p video properly. Some formats and/or rips of movies depending on fps seem to stutter. This added horsepower should aid in this I would think.

Reply Level 2 5 A_C_E on Nov 22, 2011

Which, of your tablets, has problems with playing 1080p ?

Reply Level 3 4 Cyrax on Nov 21, 2011

No point in having a quad-core CPU in a tablet except for bragging rights. For video viewing it may give you the on 1080p playback, but why would you do that? 1 movie will fill your memory and the screen won't be 1080p. So if you will be connecting it to a TV, why bother with a tablet in the first place.

Reply Level 9 6 Immortal on Nov 22, 2011

I don`t see the point at watching 1080p on a tablet but I don`t think it should be a problem for dual core Tegra...

Reply Level 5 7 DaddyChicken on Nov 25, 2011

take a look at this link:

http://www.tech-no-media.com/2011/06/why-tegra-2-sucks-at-video-decoding.html

it speaks to the tegra 2's difficulty with video decoding.

Reply Level 9 8 Immortal on Nov 27, 2011

wow I stand corrected, I didn`t know that...

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.