Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Apple Mac mini unibody Mid 2011 Questions & Answers

What do you think of the new Mac Mini

Posted by Crossblade on Jul 21, 2011

Hey guys,

I have an old Mac Mini and I LOVE IT. I prefer desktop computers to laptops, and this one is beautiful. It is as small as a HT media player, and it sits nicely on my audio rack.

The newer the better of course. Here is the 2011 model and ... I love it. It is beautuful and powerful. I was planning on starting to make video blogs, and though that my mini will not be powerful enough to edit video. This one WILL BE, even with the $600 version!

Not having a seperate power brick is nice design wise, but not really something to write home about. However, what I do not like is that it still has a fan. Hope it is as quiet and runs as rarely as on mine, but I want an audiophile computer with no fans. Unfortunately this one is not one of them :( (but it is powerful). Lacking a CD is also rather a problem for audiophiles, who need to RIP some CDs to their library. Not a problem for any normal person though, we're in 2011!!! After all, external devices are alsways an option.

So, this are my thoughts. In a nutshell - I love it because it has all the great Mac Mini things and is powerful, but I wish it was with no fan.

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 9 1 Immortal on Jul 21, 2011

Great product indeed, in my opinion it was going to be better if they doubled the RAM(4GB on the 599$ version and 8GB on the 799$), otherwise the Mac Mini is a great value for its price...

Reply Level 5 2 Dexter on Jul 21, 2011

It is one slim'n'sleek piece of aluminum worth having on your desk, and the little guy is powerful enough for regular desktop computer. In my opinion it is great budget option for mac experience, but I'd prefer an iMac over it, as it comes in ready-to-go package - display, peripherals and all for a price that can't be matched, unless you go for non-apple hardware. Which will ruin the experience.

Reply Level 7 3 I.P.K. on Jul 21, 2011

Not bad specifications for such a small thing, though I agree with Immortal about the RAM :) I definitely like it and putting it in my wish list :)

Reply Level 2 5 OldNo7 on Jul 22, 2011

Ha, they left an open space for another HDD where the DVD drive used to be, good option for DIYers to set up 2 HDD system with SSD for primary (OS and apps) and regular drive for storage.

But, no optical drive, c'mon Apple? Pretty annoying for people like me keeping all their software, audio and video collections on DVDs.

Reply Level 3 6 Cyrax on Jul 22, 2011

I really like the new mini, but to me the downsides are obvious. It needs more ram in the entry level configuration and why the hell did they remove the optical drive? The previous generations were one heck of a multimedia PC. The should have installed a blu-ray reader instead of removing the drive. At least there is an HDMI port :>

Reply Level 3 7 raghu.s1432 on Jul 27, 2011

good product thn 2 nt so good enough

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.