Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

ASUS N53Jn Questions & Answers

High frequency sound when hard drive is spinning/reading info

Posted by gangstarr on Apr 27, 2011

I just got the notebook and there is that high freq noise coming out of speakers or something when the hard drive is spinning. Any ideas how to fix that?

« Back to all discussions

not rated
2 I.P.K. on Apr 27, 2011
Level 7 Check out your microphone. It can be creating microphonic..

not rated
3 Zangetsu on Apr 28, 2011
Level 3 plug in a pair of headphones to confirm if the sound actually comes from the sound card, as the speakers are close to the hard drive and you can be mistaking where the source is. Is there a CD in your optical drive by any chance?

not rated
4 Immortal on Apr 28, 2011
Level 9 I also think that it is microphone related check if you can mute it

not rated
5 gangstarr on Apr 29, 2011
Level 2 @Zangetsu
No, the optical drive was empty at that time.

@I.P.K; @Immortal
Mic checked, all options enabled/disabled including muting the freaking thing completely - no change. Updated all sound drivers with the latest ones - no change. When clicked the option to hear mic through the speakers, the high pitch sound got a bit lower on the volume - so that's a no go.

One thing worked though, when I opened the Control panel and went into the Sound Options, the moment I clicked the Microphone tab (screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/DdvYh.png) the annoying high pitch sound stopped. What a relief. You have to keep that window open in the background in order to stop the high freq sound.

I'm not sure if this is going to be fixed by ASUS or it is Win7 related bug, but sure it is super-annoying.

not rated
7 gangstarr on May 02, 2011
Level 2 Checked that, no change. Only the method with opening mic preferences window works for now. Will keep investigating for a real fix.

not rated
8 Trixey on May 03, 2011
Level 3 I had the same problem when connected external microphone to my notebook

not rated
9 wicked123 on May 05, 2011
Level 2 There are 10+ pages on the official Asus forums regarding this matter. It turns out this noise is somehow connected to the Core i processors idle state (when the CPU enters power savings mode) and there are a couple of solutions, none of which actually fixes the issue, just bypassing it.

The hread on the asus forums: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view​.aspx?id=20100207170443781&boa​rd_id=3&model=K52JR&SLanguage=​en-us

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.