Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Apple iPhone 4 Questions & Answers

What to look for when buying second hand cell phone?

Posted by cerealkiller on Jun 27, 2011

Hi.

I'm thinking of getting a used iPhone 4, so I wonder If you guys can give me some tips what to look for?

For instance what are the weak spots of the device, how to do a quick battery check, can there be any hidden problems that need some advanced knowledge to spot and so on. Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks.

« Back to all discussions

2 Yiumi on Jun 27, 2011
Level 2 The chances of faulty battery are minimal. Look for physical damage, touchscreen sensitivity and wireless connectivity (bluetooth, cell signal and Wi-Fi).

p.s. I had a couple of used iPhone's over the past couple of years and none of them had issues with any of the above mentioned (except one with cracked screen, (fixed for $20))

not rated
1 Immortal on Jun 27, 2011
Level 9 First of all check if the whole area of the touch is working, if it is charging properly, if the camera`s sensor doesn`t have dead pixels. For the battery i guess that you can see the usage as described here http://www.apple.com/batteries​/iphone.html , there must be an app as well you can check the Appstore.

not rated
3 macboy on Jul 01, 2011
Level 2 Check the IMEI number (unique for every phone) in case it has been stolen. Also there isn't a comprehensive battery test (as far as I'm aware), especially if you only have limited time to inspect the phone. The general opinions I've heard is that it shouldn't drop more than 10% for the time of the test (unconfirmed, but sounds reasonable to me).

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.