Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Microsoft Windows 7 Questions & Answers

Fresh install from recovery partition

Posted by leprechaun on Apr 29, 2011

So I have recovery partition on my notebook and want to install it on my desktop PC...is it possible and how it can be done?

« Back to all discussions

3 Helix on May 03, 2011
Level 2 You need the recovery CD from your notebook manufacturer. What make is it?

not rated
5 outdated on May 16, 2011
Level 2 Whats the point of installing your notebook configured OS on a hardware that is completely different? As far as I know the recovery partition has been build JUST for a specific machine, thus making it unusable for another one.

However, I've managed to change a motherboard of an old PC and still keep the installed windows XP. I did it this way:

- Took all the needed hardware off the old motherboard and installed it on the new one

- Started windows XP from the Windows XP Installation Disk and did the Repair of the OS

It wiped out the old system files, except for the installed programs and surprisingly it is still running OK sfter 3 months of moderate use. I would'nt recommend this method, but apparently it works.

P.S. The best way of having properly working PC is to install everything from scratch, including the OS.

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.