Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Intel Questions & Answers

E5200 overclocking - how much?

Posted by cerealkiller on Jan 31, 2011

Hey guys, looking for some basic info on overclocking my processor. I've already got custom cooler and now want to get things moving. By default it runs at 2.5GHz, I'd like to speed it up to 3.0 max, but not necessary. What I'm looking for is a stable system rather than experimenting. What should I look for? What are the recommendations? Anything else besides the custom cooler?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 2 A_C_E on Jan 31, 2011

Well you can change some things in the Bios. I think there is some smart features for over clocking, that won't let you screw your CPU. This is one very clockable processor, so you should have no problems.

Reply Level 2 3 LungDarts on Jan 31, 2011

I`ve heard that thay overclocked it up to 4.01GHz @ Stable system
http://www.overclockers.com/fo​rums/showpost.php?p=5961362&po​stcount=3

Reply Level 2 4 Weirdo on Jan 31, 2011

With your cooling, I believe you won't have any problems with running it at 3 GHz just to be on the safe side. Ofcourse, your results may vary. I'd suggest before you try this, change the thermal paste on your CPU first. 2.9-3 GHz seems doable to me.

p.s some nutjob brought this baby to 4.8 Ghz (probably just once)

http://valid.canardpc.com/show​_oc.php?id=530285

Reply Level 2 5 Ahmed on Feb 01, 2011

Thats almost 100% overclock!

anyways 15-20% with a custom cooler shouldn't be a problem. You'll just need to stress test the machine so you can be sure it won't overheat.

Reply Level 2 6 cerealkiller on Feb 01, 2011

Thanks for the link Weirdo. It slowly starting to make sense. I'd be posting the progress here when I actually start feeling confident and make any changes. Thermal paste was something I didn't thought of. What would you recommend?

Ahmed, 15-20% is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the stress test suggestion.

Reply Level 2 7 Jason on Feb 01, 2011

Arctic Silver is the thermal paste for you ;) but I don't think that's so important. Better buy a good heat sink with direct heat pipes :)

Reply Level 9 8 Immortal on Feb 01, 2011

I totally agree on that spent some money on a serious cooling equipment before experimenting or you`ll overclock it once :D

Reply Level 3 9 MilanFAN on Feb 02, 2011

Overclock it once and forever :D:D:D Now seriously, buy some good heat sink (if it's copper, better) and buy some big fan (look for some that is with less RPMs, otherwise it will be too noisy). Then, with all the tweaking features of your MB Bios, you can safely overclock the CPU :)

Posted in response to comment #8

Reply Level 2 10 ExplosionsHurt on Feb 04, 2011

I have the same CPU and want to overclock it too...it will be very helpful if you tell me your results and how you accomplished them

Reply Level 2 11 Jigsaw on Feb 07, 2011

I`m pretty interested in your achievements too...post your results(if you didn`t fry your CPU already) :)

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.