Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

NOKIA Questions & Answers

What about Nokia N9

Posted by Chubaka on Jun 23, 2011

I'm an old fan of Nokia and I think they finally made a competitive phone. The hardware is up to date, the UI is nice and fast, and very sleek design. Finally no Symbian, which, for me, is a + :)

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 7 1 I.P.K. on Jun 23, 2011

I watched some videos in youtube, and the phone looks nice and fast. MeeGo is very good OS. Don't like the icons in the main menu. Multitask window is great.

Reply Level 5 2 Crossblade on Jun 23, 2011

When will it launch? Hardware specs are so-so (OK) at the moment, and how will they compare when it launches?

Another new OS. How many apps will it have at launch? It looks OK, but I don't see a single thing that it does and the rivals cannot. So what is so cool for it?

If Nokia makes a bunch of good phones (and launch them while they are good) and the OS works fine, it may fight to go into the top #5 OS. But if this is its first and only MeeGo phone, what's the point of getting it?

Reply Level 5 3 Dexter on Jun 24, 2011

Kinda like the design, but Nokia's generally aren't my cup of tea. I just looked at some photos of a phone running the next OS Nokia will use for their smartphones - Windows Phone 7, and it doesn't hold any interest for me, either. I would love if they continue developing the MeeGo to the point it satisfies the needs and expectations of all the Nokia fans and is actually Nokia OS, something unique that can't be seen running on another brand.

Reply Level 2 4 Lizzard on Jun 24, 2011

It will be very sad if Nokia stop developing and using MeeGo. As for the phone - it's not bad, just the Nokia style :)......@Crossblade - WP 7 also had very little apps at the beginning.

Reply Level 5 5 Crossblade on Jun 24, 2011

It still has. And I won't give it as a good example...

Reply Level 5 6 Crossblade on Jun 28, 2011

Seems Nokia will not continue to develop MeeGo, so I won't recommend buying the N9.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/0​6/25/nokias-stephen-elop-is-still-over-meego-even-if-the-n9-is-a-hi/

Reply Level 3 7 Golfman on Jun 29, 2011

I think that is not a solid reason, not to buy the phone. If it has good hardware, friendly UI, why not buy it?

Reply Level 5 8 Crossblade on Jun 29, 2011

There are lots of phones that have "good hardware, friendly UI", however, they also have a good OS to back this up and lots of apps. If Meego dies, N9 will not have this advantage.

I wouldn't be surprised if the N9 is so buggy it is unusable for any normal person but Nokia fanboy. Remember what happened with the 5800 and the N97. If Nokia kills the MeeGo support, it is possible that the N9 will not see the day when a bug-free update is released for it.

But if you are Nokia fanboy - go with it, I won't stop you. Just like I don't stop the guys who buy Symbian stuff :D

Reply Level 3 9 ndroid on Jun 30, 2011

Well, the preview of the device is out, and honestly I like this finnish peace of stump more than any other nokia phone released thus far. Reminds me of an iPod nano (touch) somehow, and I love the way it is all simplified around three screens all pretty easy to navigate to. Also haven't seen copy'n'paste with just a finger swipe, supercool.

Watch the preview here: http://www.phonearena.com/news​/Nokia-N9-Hands-on_id19989

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.