Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Networking Devices Questions & Answers

Best practices to protect your home wi-fi network?

Posted by Dexter on Dec 30, 2011

Just found out about the security flaw of the WPS easy connection set-up of most of the routers. 3 tools have been released for cracking your network credentials in a matter of... 4 hours. Is this still possible If I use WPA2 and never used WPS set-up?

I'm pretty sure there's a right combination of security options to tick and get my home wi-fi network properly protected, just don't know which. I used to put a mac address filter which can stop access to any pc that hasn't got its mac address in my routers list, but it is inconvenient nowadays, especially if you have a visitors with smartphones, use more than one wireless device etc.

What are the best practices of setting up your router for optimal security?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 9 1 Immortal on Dec 30, 2011

Disable wps, Mac address filtration, hidden ssid, using wpa2
:) thats about all

Reply Level 6 2 WingMan on Dec 30, 2011

Immortal pretty much summed it up :). The best protection imo are hidden SSID and WPA2 (password including, lower and uppercase letters and numbers).

Reply Level 5 3 Dexter on Jan 05, 2012

Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess I'll have to deal with the annoying mac address filtering again.

Reply Level 7 4 I.P.K. on Feb 15, 2012

According to me - mac address filtering and hidden SSID

Reply Level 9 5 Immortal on Feb 15, 2012

keep in mind that Hidden SSID is just a base protection it needs WPA2 to be efficient...Hidden ssids can easily be revealed...

Reply Level 3 6 Renk81 on Feb 16, 2012

In the end, do as much as possible. You will never be truely impenitrable(password can be hacked, MACs can be cloned, hidden networks can be found), but the more you do the less worth while what is behind your security wall will be. If all you got for them is net access, the idiot next door who leaves defaults on their unlocked linksys will be hit first.

Change ALL your defaults, WPA2 encriptyion, MAC filter, hide SSID, and password protect with a looong multicharacter password. Also disable wireless and remote administrator access so you will have to hardwire into your access-point (AP) to change settings. Try also to setup your network, via wireless AP placement and signal modification, so that it is bearly detecable beyond the walls of your house. The weaker the signal the less desirable.

Reply Level 4 7 leviathan on Feb 21, 2012

"Also disable wireless and remote administrator access so you will have to hardwire into your access-point (AP) to change settings."

That is a great idea, I've never used remote access, but the wireless admin access is probably on by default.

Reply Level 3 8 Renk81 on Feb 24, 2012

Just about all of the unsafe, make-it-easier-to-break-in features are on by default.

Reply Level 9 9 Immortal on Feb 27, 2012

hah true :D

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.