Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

CPU Questions & Answers

CPU choice for a low budget system

Posted by WingMan on Oct 31, 2011

A friend of mine was proposed a system with a Phenom II X2 560 processor and I thought we could do better and ended up with a i3-2100. However one thing puzzles me, which of the two is actually better. On paper the AMD has the edge over the i3, but I'm still leaning towards the Intel based system. Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter at hand?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 7 1 I.P.K. on Oct 31, 2011

I'm for the i3-2100 mainly for two reasons:
1. i3-2100 is used for most budget gaming PCs, which is indicative about the qualities of the CPU
2.AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black is more often comparable with Intel Core i3 540, which is the older generation

Reply Level 5 2 DaddyChicken on Oct 31, 2011

It depends on your definition of low end system. I would go for a lower end core i5. I was exclusive to AMD for years, but went to the Core i-7 this year. Superior technology. AMD's 8 core bulldozer chips are supposed to be quite nice too. They just aren't going to be super cheap. A bargain for their capability, but not low rent.

Reply Level 6 3 WingMan on Nov 01, 2011

I know there are better things out there, but these two are the most powerful that fit in the price range as far as I know, so which from the two is the better one.

Reply Level 4 4 leviathan on Nov 01, 2011

AMD's aren't bad considering the price, but I'd stick with intel CPUs as general and would recommend getting the i3 here as well. Main difference being the hyper threading which imo is well worth advantage.

Besides, if you check out some performance benchmarks and make a comparison, the intel's i3-2100 is way ahead the amd alternative you've chosen. According to newegg's prices the i3 will cost you around $30 more.

PassMark Ranks:

Intel Core i3-2100: 3859
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cp​u.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2100+%40+3.10GHz

AMD Phenom II X2 560: 2046
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cp​u.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X2+560

Reply Level 9 5 Immortal on Nov 02, 2011

The Intel is a little more expensive, but scores higher in the benchmarks its TDP is 65W compared to the AMD`s 80W, the lythography of the i3 is 32nm compared to the 45nm of the AMD, so higher benchmark scores, less heat generation and less power usage...I`d definately choose the Intel if I were you...

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.