Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

CPU Questions & Answers

Could Intel be integrating everything into the CPU?

CPU

Posted by Golfman on Aug 16, 2010

With the Jasper Forest CPU and the integration of I/O hub into the CPU itself, Intel got rid of the southbridge. That's great because it saves space on the motherboard and uses less energy in the process. And other hardware companies are moving toward integrating more and more into the CPU, so could the north bridge become unnecessary too soon or later ?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 6 2 WingMan on Aug 16, 2010

Don't forget the current generations of Core-I3s and i5s have a GPU embedded in them not in the chipset :). The system on a chip idea is nothing new, but it is yet to be developed for the desktop PC and notebook markets. For cell phones it is a fact. Nvidia's tegra platform for example.

Reply Level 4 3 Chubaka on Aug 16, 2010

Which phone has Nvidia Tegra O_o?

Reply Level 2 4 method on Aug 16, 2010

Check out the Microsoft KIN One and KIN Two. :-)

"They both include Nvidia's Tegra APX 2600 chip for a high-quality multimedia experience, including 720p high-definition video playback and recording."

Reply Level 3 5 Zangetsu on Aug 17, 2010

What will this thing bring? It will pump up the prices of the CPUs because of features which many of us won't use, like the embedded GPU for example. As for the system on a chip architecture - its best usage is probably in MIDs, UMPCs and cell phones and not PCs and notebooks.

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.