Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Network Attached Storage Questions & Answers

Looking for NAS for home use

Posted by macboy on Mar 24, 2011

Hi, I\'m looking for Network attached storage device for my home network, as I\'m experiencing problems with my current hard drives capacity, but don\'t want to get external hard drive. I\'m looking for something around 2TB to start with and I\'d like it to be upgradeable if possible. What would you guys suggest? Which are the best available with wireless connectivity?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 5 A_C_E on Mar 25, 2011

With a few exceptions, NAS devices do not support Wi-Fi...Apple Time Capsule is such an exception. In your case there are 2 options (in my view): first: to buy a NAS enclosure and put however hard drives you want but sacrifice wi-fi or second: to buy a home network media player with wi-fi, but not so much space (and you will be able to use its other features) .....it's up to you :)

Reply Level 2 6 Lazy on Mar 28, 2011

WesternDigital have a great NAS Home solution it is called Sharespace you can take a look at their home page or here http://www.meetgadget.com/gadg​et/30384/WD+ShareSpace/specs

Reply Level 2 7 cold on Mar 28, 2011

There is an alternative solution as well...you can use a router with USB port and an external hard drive :) it won`t be as functional but it will work and it is cheap

Reply Level 3 8 MilanFAN on Mar 29, 2011

And what will happen when the hard drive is full...connect another one :D:D

Reply Level 2 9 OldNo7 on Mar 29, 2011

What will happen when your NAS is full?

Reply Level 3 11 MilanFAN on Mar 30, 2011

You can add new hard and can make RAID 'cause it's a case and put 2,4...etc. hardrives, while if you use 2,3,4..... external hardrives where will U put them. And also the NAS has a software to controll the hard drives properly..

Posted in response to comment #9

Reply Level 2 12 OldNo7 on Mar 30, 2011

I'm not quite sure all NAS devices support RAID. I'm also not certain that all of them will have multiple available extension slots for hard drives. Are you talking about a specific device? Lastly, I'm not sure if you can connect more than one external hard drive to a router.

I get your point - NAS is better option for memory expansion. I'm sure suggesting a specific device will be highly appreciated.

Posted in response to comment #11

Reply Level 2 10 macboy on Mar 29, 2011

@Lazy

Thanks, but I can only see ethernet interface on this one. I was hoping to get wireless solution, but nevermind. I guess I'll reconsider the time capsule. Hope it won't have any troubles having windows 7 pc connected along with the macbook :)

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.