Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Portable Media Players Questions & Answers

How can I update the firmware of Apple Ipod Touch 1st gen?

Posted by Immortal on Jun 22, 2011

I`ve been struggling with this update for several days now, so I`m looking for help. The system I`m using for the update is Windows 7 64-bit. The ipod`s firmware is ver.1.x I`m trying to update to 2.x or above. I tried using the standard way which is connecting with the original cable (as crossblade suggested in one of the other threads) and updating through iTunes but it keeps giving me "Could not open key" which as far as I read is a windows registry problem. I read that it is ok with older versions of iTunes, but it didn`t work either. I tried recovering "baked" backup but the device bricked and I had to unbrick it(I`ll share how if anyone is interested). I also read that if i jailbreak it i can use fwchanger and probably the iTunes will update. I ran out of ideas have anyone else faced this problem and is there any other way besides jailbreaking that I can use.
Thanks in advance.

Problem solved

The author of the question has chosen Answer 1 by leviathan as the problem soluton.

« Back to all discussions

1 leviathan on Jun 23, 2011
Level 4 If it is a Windows problem, have you tried installing iTunes from scratch, i.e. complete uninstall>reboot>install? If you have and it doesn't help, may be you should try it on another PC or perhaps a mac.

You might also want to try manually downloading the desired firmware, shift-clicking to update/restore and choose the firmware file. Here's a great site with list of .ipsw files to download - http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/​firmware/

Hope that helps, keep us updated.

3 Immortal on Jun 27, 2011
Level 9 Finally I managed to update it using the site @leviathan provided. The only working versions for the firmware for me were iPod1,1_2.0.2_5C1 and iPod1,1_3.1.3_7E18. Thanks for the help!

not rated
2 Immortal on Jun 23, 2011
Level 9 I ve tried reinstalling iTunes (even cleaned the registry after uninstalling) but id didn`t work at all...i also tried manual firmware update it also didn`t work...Maybe the next logical step is update it on Mac i guess...
Any other ideas?

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.