Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Notebooks Questions & Answers

Lost the ability to control volume and brightness through Fn (function) keys in Win7.

Posted by Dexter on Jun 27, 2011

Hey guys, I just noticed that the Fn keys no longer adjust volume and brightness on my ASUS K52JE notebook. Just to clarify it's about the combinations that don't work:

Brightness > Fn + F5/F6
Volume > Fn + F10/F11/F12

However, switsching off the LCD is fully operational via Fn + F7.

I'm wondering what might cause that? They ALL used to work when the Windows 7 was initially installed and configured with all ASUS drivers and apps, and I'm pretty sure (99.9%) it is not a hardware fault. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

« Back to all discussions

1 Immortal on Jun 27, 2011
Level 9 They must be driver-controlled...find the keyboard driver and reinstall it...this must solve your problem. If Fn+F7 is working it won`t be hardware for sure, so write back when you reinstall the drivers. Good luck!

4 Dexter on Jun 28, 2011
Level 5 Update.

It was not caused by old drivers. Apparently Windows 7 have some problems with Sleep and Hibernate modes. Most of the times I don't Shut Down my laptop and just close the lid when I finish with whatever I'm doing. So yesterday I noticed it takes too darn long to wake up from sleep, and I figured it is not set up properly. So I opened Control Panel and changed "When I close the lid" to Sleep (it was on Hibernate option, hence the slow waking up).

Surprisingly, that also fixed the Fn keys problem, which are now fully operable and working exactly as the should.

not rated
6 Dexter on Jul 05, 2011
Level 5 Update 2.

I've always been on the safe side, installing the recommended apps and everything, thinking it'd be better. So I had all these ASUS FastBoot, Power4gear and other apps that should override or work along with windows basic settings. Well, not anymore. I just removed all the suggested programs from the ASUS driver disk, and left only the drivers.

What happened:
1. Fixed the function keys (no matter how the notebook is configured - hibernate or sleep)
2. Fixed the issue with the power options - Win7 used to "remember" the last condition (like display brightness) and not change it after unplugging the mains power supply.

not rated
7 Immortal on Jul 05, 2011
Level 9 Unexpected solution :) I`ll keep that in mind when fixing ASUS notebooks

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.