Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Notebooks Questions & Answers

Is there a tablet that supports calling like a regular phone?

Posted by ndroid on May 27, 2011

Hi, I'm wondering can I get a tablet that supports phone calling like a regular cell phone? I haven't noticed that option on any of the tab specs. Thanks.

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 2 Jason on May 27, 2011

I think there are some Chinese tablets that have the feature....you can use Skype or some other apps for calling

Reply Level 1 3 quattro on May 30, 2011

What about the quality ones, like Motorola, HTC, Samsung? I just heard that ASUS are going to produce a phone/tablet combo, with idea similar to Motorola ATRIX 4G docking, except that Motorola are using notebook base and ASUS are betting on a tablet base. Sounds pretty cool, and I'm also wondering why would the manufacturers intentionally disable such a great option? Of course I'm not suggesting having the tablet directly placed on your ear, but rather using a bluetooth or cable handsfree to achieve the calls.

Reply Level 3 4 FoShizzle on May 31, 2011

It shouldn't be a problem with any tablet with 3G connectivity and bluetooth for handsfree. I remember the old htc advantage (which is pretty much a tablet) could do it.

Reply Level 2 5 whatnot on May 31, 2011

Can you make a call using Motorola XOOM? Or Samsung Galaxy Tab?

Reply Level 2 6 Bulldog on May 31, 2011

they don't have phone interface

Reply Level 7 7 I.P.K. on May 31, 2011

Samsung Galaxy Tab has a dial-bar and microphone, and speaker...but it's silly to use 7 inch tablet as a phone :D

Reply Level 5 8 Dexter on Jun 01, 2011

It appears that the EU version of the Galaxy Tab was able to make phone calls OTB, while the US version needs some hacking to do so. Besides it allows phone calls only through T-Mobile network, so it is kinda limited.

@I.P.K. what is silly for you is cool for someone else. I'd prefer having a tablet that can replace all my mobile gadgets, so I can keep 1 device for all needs. If it also supports bluetooth communication and can be used with a headset, can't see why not using it as a phone?

Reply Level 7 10 I.P.K. on Jun 01, 2011

OK next time I will use netbook for calling :D

Reply Level 2 9 Warrior on Jun 01, 2011

In other forums I read that Galaxy Tab has some problems detecting bluetooth headsets

Reply Level 2 11 Jigsaw on Jun 06, 2011

Hahaha I guess you can but you`ll be walking the streets talking to a window :D

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.