Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Notebooks Questions & Answers

Is there a fix for dead battery?

Posted by Dexter on Mar 22, 2011

Hi, a friend of mine got an old Acer Aspire notebook, which suddenly stopped charging the battery. It all happened over a night and I couldn't figure out is it normal? I've always thought that the battery will start slowly losing it's capacity up to the point when it needs to be replaced. However, this is not the case as it happened all of a sudden. Can anyone recommend an app for windows that can check the battery and give further suggestions can it be repaired via software?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 3 Jason on Mar 22, 2011

I can't understand.....your died suddenly or your charger stopped charging the battery? If the battery is dead try to charge it for 24 hours.....else buy new

Reply Level 2 5 Konig on Mar 23, 2011

Generally, they gradually lose charge over time, but in your case you probably have a dead cell or open circuit between the cells. You can fix it, but it is not worth it, so I'd suggest you get one on ebay.

Reply Level 2 2 cold on Mar 22, 2011

I`ve been in the same situation....i couldn`t fix it and bought a new battery...i wouldn`t count on repairing the battery without changing the cells if I were you

Reply Level 5 4 Dexter on Mar 22, 2011

The charger works, the battery doesn't get charged. The laptop is operational only when plugged into the mains power supply.

Reply Level 3 6 Trixey on Mar 23, 2011

Replace the broken cell or buy a new battery....I think the two options are merely at the same price

Reply Level 2 7 Zildjian10 on Mar 23, 2011

I'm pretty certain the battery needs to be replaced.

Reply Level 2 8 alienware on Mar 23, 2011

You can open the battery and check every cell with a multimeter :] that way you`ll see which one is dead...but I recommend you to just buy a new battery

Reply Level 7 9 I.P.K. on Mar 24, 2011

Buy a new one...less troubles for the same money :)

Reply Level 9 10 Immortal on Mar 28, 2011

And after you buy a new battery don`t keep the laptop plugged at all times because the battery is doing countless cycles charging and discharging which will get you to the same situation as now :)

Reply Level 5 11 Dexter on Apr 08, 2011

Update guys, the battery started charging by itself. Apparently Acer are also magical, lol. However, It can't go over 22% for a couple of days now. Can't think of a reason for all this. Any thoughts?

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.