Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Notebooks Questions & Answers

Lenovo ThinkPads - still good and durable workstations or not?

Posted by 49ers on Feb 22, 2011

Hi, I'm looking for a durable notebook with good battery life, primarily for business use. I'll be non-stop on the go, so I'm looking for something with a solid build, probably about 14". The design is not important. First thing that I thought of was the ThinkPad, as I know the old IBM laptops were known as one of the best business pcs around. Is it still that way, and what other makes and models should I consider? Thanks.

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 6 2 WingMan on Feb 23, 2011

Designwise they haven't changed much in the last couple of years, so they should be as reliable as the previous models. The chassis seems pretty much the same so hinges, build quality and toughness should be on par, as for the hardware I have no idea, but i believe it won't give you trouble as well.

Reply Level 2 3 Helix on Feb 23, 2011

I've always like their professional look and good construction and I still think they are as well built as ever, just with better hardware.

Reply Level 3 4 Golfman on Feb 23, 2011

My girlfriend has Lenovo with 14" display and ULP Intel CPU. Its battery life is around 6 hours. I can't tell you how durable it is, 'cause she hasn't try it yet :D The design is very cool and quality is not bad

Reply Level 2 5 Smoky on Feb 23, 2011

My friend recently bought a Lenovo notebook and it has a stripe down the screen...actually all devices from this batch have the problem

Reply Level 9 6 Immortal on Feb 23, 2011

Interesting...the ThinkPads used to be one of the best rugged workstations 5-6 years ago...I`m sorry to hear they ruined the series

Reply Level 3 7 Cyrax on Feb 24, 2011

It seems that this is becoming a trend in the last year or so. There are multiple news on the net about manufacturer problems, defects, etc and I'm not talking about notebooks in particular but electronics in general.

Back in the day the thinkpads were really awesome and buletproof. I hope they will regain their reputation again.

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.