Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Radar Detectors Questions & Answers

Looking for good radar detector

Posted by cerealkiller on Mar 16, 2011

Hey, I'm looking for a radar detector. I've heard that Whistler and Cobra are one of the best manufacturers of radar detectors. What would you recommend? Also, what are the most important features I should look for when considering one?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 2 leprechaun on Mar 16, 2011

It depends on a couple things: how bad are the speed traps where you drive and how much do you want to spend? If you live in an area with sophisticated speed traps or you drive long stretches that take you through various jurisdictions then you probably want a pretty good radar detector that picks up a variety of radar signals, also known as "multi threat". Most detectors do this already, so the next concern is range. The rule is: the better quality the radar detector, the more range you get.

Reply Level 7 3 I.P.K. on Mar 16, 2011

As far as I know Cobra are the best. First figure out your budget, choose a unit that can sense wide-band, look for at least 110 dB sensitive unit. There are some more things to consider but I think these are the main :)

Reply Level 2 4 Drifter on Mar 16, 2011

I'd recommend you buy a detector that can sense both radar and laser based systems, as you never know what the "good guys" are using. Whistler is a winner in my book as I've never had problems with my unit and always (almost) helped me stay away from getting a ticket.

Reply Level 2 5 Jigsaw on Mar 17, 2011

I`d go for Cobra too :)

Reply Level 2 6 cerealkiller on Mar 17, 2011

So I should look for wide-band, at least 110 dB that can intercept radar and laser based systems. Thanks!

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.