Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Graphic Cards Questions & Answers

random freezing in all games

Posted by satwinder on Jul 17, 2011

I purchased a new laptop dell xps l401x 4 months ago.last month, accidentally the water was spilled on my laptop after this mother board has been replaced.
after this replacement i face problem in each game e.g.
fifa 11
hot pursuit
age of empire 3
street fighter 4
every games runs smoothly in first minute, then screen gets flickering or freezing slowly.
i updated all the graphic drivers, bios, even tried dell factory restore
even due to this problem my motherboard has been replaced again but this not worked out my problem.
all thes games worked very well before motherboard replacement....

following are my graphics card details:

[Display]
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
ram : 4gb
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce GT 425M
Driver version: 275.33
DirectX support: 11
CUDA Cores: 96
Core clock: 560 MHz
Shader clock: 1120 MHz
Memory clock: 800 MHz (1600 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 128-bit
Total available graphics memory: 3807 MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB DDR3
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1759 MB
Video BIOS version: 70.08.19.00.10
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

some one please help me out....:(

« Back to all discussions

13 Nitro on Jul 19, 2011
Level 3 I bet the guys who replaced the motherboard forgot to use thermal grease on the components or the didn't install the coolers correctly. Your notebook is overheating my friend, this is what causes the poor performance. Take it to the repair center that did the replacement.

not rated
1 I.P.K. on Jul 18, 2011
Level 7 Did you try to reinstall your Windows? Why do you think the problem is from your video card? After splashing water, not only motherboard can get damaged (I'm just suggesting). At what settings do you play these games (low, medium, high)? Try to lower them and if the problem stays...it's not the video card.

not rated
2 barbedwire on Jul 18, 2011
Level 2 In order to fix the problem you should narrow a bit further down, i.e. software or hardware related issue. I'd do it this way:

- Complete uninstall of the current drivers
- Downloading and installing the latest ones from nVidia download page

If nothing changes, backup data and reinstall Windows as suggested above. If nothing changes, bring it back to Dell support and explain your troubles thoroughly, so they can test it again and possibly replace the faulty part. You can also try to contact Dell support team, to get specific instructions on what to start with - online chat seems faster way of doing so: http://support.dell.com/suppor​t/topics/global.aspx/support/d​ellcare/contact_technical_supp​ort?c=us&l=en&s=gen.

P.S. Have you tried to installing a fresh copy of some of the games (if you haven't reinstalled OS)?

not rated
3 satwinder on Jul 18, 2011
Level 2 I already tried re installation of all display drivers , bios, chip-set,
dell factory restore .
even dell peoples suggested me to do all these after replacing mother board once then they replaced it twice.
one more thing i want to know is dell factory restore and re installation of os from disk are not equivalent???

not rated
4 satwinder on Jul 18, 2011
Level 2 some games work well in low resolutions fifa 11 and street fighter 4
but others not.
and all these games run smoothly in other systems with same config at high resolutions.

not rated
5 I.P.K. on Jul 18, 2011
Level 7 Theoretically dell factory restore and re installation do the same, but I think the problem is old Windows with new motherboard, that is why I suggest you to re install the OS

not rated
6 Immortal on Jul 18, 2011
Level 9 It is either misconfigured windows or overheating...install any system monitor and keep an eye at what temperatures does your PC halt

not rated
7 satwinder on Jul 18, 2011
Level 2 @I.p.k now from where do i get new window for new motherboard :p
if i reinstall os again from disk provided by dell will not it be the same as dell factory restore..???

not rated
8 satwinder on Jul 18, 2011
Level 2 @Immortal

Intel core 17 740QM

temprature (degree Celsius)
core#0 86
core#1 78
core#2 79
core#3 78
NVIDIA GeFORCE GT 425M

Voltage
VIN0 0.90v

Temperature 102

now what these temperatures depict ??? are these readings normal if not what i should need to do ???

not rated
14 I.P.K. on Jul 20, 2011
Level 7 What happened with the problem? Did you fix it?

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.