Compare Gadgets Vs. Compare

Graphic Cards Questions & Answers

nVidia CUDA cores vs. AMD streaming processors

Posted by Lizzard on Mar 09, 2011

With the announcement of the AMD Radeon HD 6990, I start wondering which technology is better? The new VGA has 3072 streaming processors O_o So do CUDA cores serve the same purpose as the streaming processors? GTX 580 has 512 CUDA cores - does this mean 6990 is 6 times faster than GTX 580?

« Back to all discussions

Reply Level 2 2 alienware on Mar 09, 2011

AMD has more streaming processors, but a LOT less software which can use them for calculations, so still nVidia is the better decision if you intend some serious usage(rendering, decrypting etc.)

Reply Level 2 3 Freddy on Mar 09, 2011

For decrypting purposes the new Backtrack OS uses both ATI Stream and CUDA :) and i`m pretty sure that you can find rendering software that works with ATI as well

Reply Level 3 4 Trixey on Mar 09, 2011

And what about games? Does these technologies matter, or just for rendering and decrypting?

Reply Level 2 5 InFlames on Mar 09, 2011

For example games use PhysX and PhysX use CUDA :)

Reply Level 2 6 Inferno on Mar 10, 2011

PhysX really takes the game graphics and effects to a whole new level. Its pretty much like Havok (which AMD/ATI uses, but better and more widely spread).

Reply Level 4 7 Chubaka on Mar 10, 2011

It's the first time I hear about Havok.....though once upon a time I had a high end ATI Radeon VGA.

Reply Level 3 8 Golfman on Mar 10, 2011

As far as I know Havok is more used in movies...you will be surprised how many blockbusters had been created with this technology

Reply Level 6 9 WingMan on Mar 11, 2011

Test Drive Unlimited 2 uses Havok. For the moment Cuda is better.

Reply Level 2 10 leprechaun on Mar 11, 2011

I don't know, whether you know, that Havok is on the market long time ago before Cuda

Reply Level 3 11 Cyrax on Mar 14, 2011

Cuda has more future than Stream processors.

Post your comment

Want to post a comment? Only registered users can post, please log in or register.